Fetal Bovine Serum (FBS) USDA Approved Origin Heat Inactivated
RMBIO FBS is sourced from USDA-approved suppliers and is processed in our cGMP-compliant and FDA-registered facility. Our FBS is heat inactivated at 56°C for 30 minutes. RMBIO FBS is processed under strict protocols that ensure sterility, high quality, and excellent growth-promotion and performance over a range of applications and cell lines.
- Heat inactivated
- Low endotoxin and hemoglobin levels
- Average endotoxin level*: < 1 EU/mL (specification = ≤ 10.0 EU/ml)
- Average hemoglobin level*: < 15 mg/dL (specification = < 30 mg/dL)
- Total protein: 3.0-4.5 g/dL
- Triple 0.1 µm sterile filtration
- Excellent growth promotion characteristics
- Storage conditions: ≤ -10° C
- Current lots are of Mexican origin
* Data based on last 10 lots produced.
Heat Inactivation 101
Heat inactivation is an industry standard treatment that helps protect against growth inhibiting immune factors like serum complement that may be present in the serum. Serum complement can have undesirable impacts on immunological endpoints like detection of neutralizing antibodies, or on the proliferation of viruses. RMBIO manufactures heat inactivated bovine serum by raising the temperature of the serum to 56°C in a water bath and strictly maintaining the condition for 30 minutes.
Heat Inactivated Fetal Bovine Serum (FBS) specific product test requirements and typical values are given below:
|Total Protein||Chemistry Analyzer||3.0 - 4.5 g/dL|
|Osmolality||By Osmometer||280 - 360 mOsm/Kg|
|pH||pH Meter||6.5 - 8.5|
|Hemoglobin||USP <90>||< 30 mg/dl|
|Albumin||Chemistry Analyzer||≤ 4.5 g/dL|
|Endotoxin||LAL||≤ 10 EU/ml|
|Sterility, Mycoplasma, and Viral Analysis||9CFR 113.26, 28, 53||Tested|
|Other Parameters||Comprehensive Chemistry Testing||As Reported|